LGBT+ History Month is both a time for us to reflect on the injustice of past treatment of LGBT+ individuals and also a time to celebrate those who fought for LGBT+ rights. This month is a time for us to unite and educate others and to teach acceptance.
LGBT+ History Month is celebrated every February to commemorate the 2003 abolition of Section 28, a law introduced in 1988 that banned education provisions from portraying homosexuality in a positive light. LGBT+ History Month aims to promote equality and diversity by:
- Increasing the visibility of LGBT+ people, their history, lives and experiences
- Raising awareness and advancing education matters affecting the LGBT+ community
- Working to make educational and other institutions safe spaces for all LGBT+ communities
NPTC Group of Colleges show their support of LGBT+ History Month through various means with LGBT+ Pride flags up in each campus, weekly infographics which provide an overview of LGBT History Month, launching a LGBTQ+ Society as a virtual space for LGBT+ students to socialise and provide support as well as regular LGBT+ awareness training for all staff which includes key concepts and how to support all LGBTQ+ students.
Here in the Business Development Unit, we pride ourselves on working with a diverse range of individuals and being inclusive. As being part of the College, our team are encouraged to support LGBT+ History Month and attend available training with the aim to create LGBT+ positive relationships in all we do.
There are various resources out there for the LGBTQ+ community so we’ve listed a few below…
- youngstonewall.org.uk– Stonewall Youth website, with helpful advice and information.
- theproudtrust.org/for-young-people– The Proud Trust are a charity who support LGBT+ youth. They have lots of help and advice for young people on their website. https://www.lgbthealth.org.uk/online-resources/
- https://lgbt.foundation/ – A national charity, offering advice, support and information services to the LGBT+ community.
- https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/ – UK support charity for trans and gender-diverse youth and their families.